Which network interface when binding in Qbittorrent?

grillplate

Freshly Joined Member
Hi there,

I'm configuring my Qbittorrent client to work with a 2 hops cascading VPN setup. I wan't to bind a specific network interface in Qbittorrent so that it always transfers via that network interface.

My VPN config: 2 hops cascading VPN, OpenVPN, Stealh HTTP/Auto, Leakprotection permanent (all options on), a 1-to-1 port forwarding for my second hop VPN connection, enforce primary IP=ON, Neuro routing=OFF (ON makes everything slower), OpenVPN protocol=UDP (TCP is very slow)

When bind the network interface in Qbittorrent, there are 4 options to choose from:
  1. Any interface (work with all network interfaces)
  2. Ethernet (that's my local hardware network card itself, with local IP and router gateway)
  3. Perfect Privacy VPN 1 (this is my first hop in the cascade)
  4. Perfect Privacy VPN 2 (this is mu second and last hop in the cascade and also the IP adres to the outside world)
I test with a large torrent that can create high/max speeds.
  • When I choose option 1: all 3 interfaces show signs of traffic (including the local hardware network card!), the total torrent speed is maximum
  • When I choose option 2: only that interface (Ethernet/local network card) is showing traffic. Speed is maximum
  • When I choose option 3: there is no connection and no traffic
  • When I choose option 4: only that interface (Perfect Privacy VPN 2) is showing traffic. Though it does not reach the maximum speed, only a 3th or so from the max speed
Non of the options seems viable/ok to me.
  • Option 1: has max speed, but it also activates the Ethernet/local interface(!) this has me worried, because this would mean that Leak protection is not working some how and that traffic is routed over my local network interface to my router and modem, bypassing the VPN
  • Option 2: same issue as with option 1 (traffic bypassing Leak protection)
  • Option 3: obvious, no traffic
  • Option 4: significantly lower speeds and not sure if the traffic is routed over the 2 hops, since PP VPN 2 is the las hop in my cascade

So my questions to you:
  1. How is it possible that the local network interface (options 1 and 2) is showing heavy traffic while VPN and VPN Leak protection is active?
  2. What option should I choose to make my Qbittorrent connections safe by always using the VPN connection?
  3. Or what should I do differently?
Thank you very much in advance!

Best,

GP

For educational purpose. Fck this won't be quick for you. (And for me. Since I'm always learning, it would be cool if someone correct any mistake I didn't realise. And I hope I don't forget anything)
You want to enhance you knowledge and expand in understanding qtorrent/torrent? You did already some work, but...

- Stealth http is useful for countries who block vpn or you could get trouble
- Neurorouting is already off, not a good idea for trying out torrent. Don't know if it works.
- Portforwarding see later
- Since I see some problems, you should only use the Windows firewall. Others can work, can partially work or will work with leaks. Maybe, if you remove your old firewall, you must make the firewall resetting itself.
- You're using 2 hops. You know that almost every server is good for testing torrent, but some server block torrent/torrent-tracker (see server-list on pp-homepage for details. Not that you're connectet to one of these server and wonder what doesn't work, but everything works fine and the problem is the blocked torrent-tracker. I think it was USA, france, Australia)
- I assume you're using windows. Don't know if qbittorrent is available on other platforms, but for the next time you post, think if we need some additional information. We don't know your pc. Some informatin is useful, but other information is useless. Try to post the useful information.

So you set up the client and checkt the Settings-Menu. And you try to find out what interface you should use and why you see strange things.
Option 1: Not ok, it uses every interface. But we want it to use the VPN, so this is not the right one. And if you say, speed is maximum, maybe you have some leak-problems? You know how to check about leak-problems?
Option 2: As I told you, you have some problems. You should never see any traffic if you use this interface, since we're using the VPN. Did you try ipleak.net -> torrent test [also did you try the regular ip-leak test with an without vpn? without you may not even reach any webpage http or ping]. It would be interesting what IP you can see if you're connectet to the VPN? The Permanent leak protection says all non VPN traffic is blocked, so what traffic goes where?
Option 3: You're right, there can't be any traffic. Connection is encryptet again from hop1 to hop2, so your pc can't interfere with this traffic or connection.
Option 4: This is the one we want. As told before, try any page who can tell you from where your torrent-client came from. And don't forget, PP has ipv4 and ipv6. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think there was an additional setting in qbittorrent where you can choose like ipv4, ipv6, both of them for torrents. Can't remember perfectly but if you see the setting, you know it. Or was it some other client?
The Traffic goes from hop2>hop1>ethernet>isp, that's the way we want it.

Then the problem Port-forwarding. You can choose a random port everytime qbittorrent starts, you can set a fixed port, there is UPNP... The thing is, I don't know exactly about this. I already asked if there is the possibility for a leak, but I didn't get any answer yet. An open port is a hole in the firewall. On the other side, the traffic goes through the VPN, the firewall is set no traffic can go anywhere else. No traffic from the outside can reach the pc. The traffic goes something like ISP-Router-Ethernet/Wireless Adapter-Firewall-your pc/VPN. So theoretically, if your internet is not on a fibre/dsl-modem, you should be safe. BUT there was tunnelcrack (PP was safe against, nearly every other vpn wasn't). So I don't know if it is 100% safe agains some kind of leak or attack or if it is somehow possible to find out the ip. Can someone who knows the answer (who knows and not think he knows) reply?
Additional PP allow you some forwarded ports. I forgot (again) but there is some time-limit the port resets. And I think if you change the server it also resets. So you should read into that.
Without port-forwarding you have no incoming connections. You still can download your Linux-iso, but none of the other user can connect to you, you have to connect to them. As you can see, if two user have the same problem, they even can't connect. And now imagine there are only 2 user who have the full file (called seeder) and both can't connect to you (called leecher), and you can't connect to them.

Question 1 is answered (advanced leaktesting, some ideas in my text above), question 2 also but there is still question 3.
What can you do otherwise?
You can set up a VM (Virtual Machine). Correctly set up, there can't be any leaks. Way too long for this short text. But many thins are obvios. google/youtube for some serious tutorials. You know, enhance your knowledge ^^ If you use a VM, never ever use 2 different VPN provider. You may think, it's more safe, but it's even less safe than 1 VPN provider.
Then there are other clients. I tested some of them. And I was shocked. One worked as it should, but you never should use it. One worked and then in the next testing VM it didn't work, deleted it and didn't work again and in the third one it worked. And I had no explanation. One client finished the testing-torrent, but after a forece recheck it always had some corrupted data. Finished it again and the same Problem. After the 5th or 6th failed recheck I decided somehow the client and the VM don't work together... And you don't know if the cliend sends your data to some people whose personal gain from your data is more important than user-rights or the existing law for themself and their partners.
Maybe some other VM would work. But you should never even thinking about using the Microsoft VM. Somewhere I read (and that's where I lost every interest in it) it uses your hardware directly and is faster. That's the problem. One of many (!) reasons for a VM is, you can't get nearly any informatin about the host system. Let's say, you use an evil software. And it collects data to know who you are. There is no serial number or whatever to allocate to you. If I understand correctly, the M$ VM use your hardware and this evil software can collect your Serial numbers and so on. That's not the idea behind it. Even worse, there was an easy usable bug where the software could invide the host system with admin rights (already fixed but you don't know the future) because it uses the hardware of the pc (as far as I remember correctly). That's not something we want. And don't use 3d acceleration/hardare grafic acceleration. It's possible to identify yourself! Not even in the browser, sometimes you have to search how to deactivate it.
And I don't know if it is a good idea to use your windows-key in the VM. Maybe it'll get deactivated after some time. And to get identified by windows only for testing some torrent-client is useless.

As I told you before, this is purely educational. And as you see, even I don't know everything. There are possibilities for operation errors on your side.

see you next time

Back