Answered: utorrent and DHT through proxy

necro1

i have been able to run utorrent succesfully through the vpn but with the proxy enabled i have had no luck.....DHT says its waiting to announce and never logs in not allowing me to connect to any peers....if i let it run for a little while with just the vpn i can then run the proxy but that also blocks out DHT again and i cant establish any new connections....is this a limitation of the proxy or do i have to change some settings to get this running properly?

klaus said:
another question: is it safe to run torrents through the USA VPN servers?
you mustn't use torrents on these servers at all for filesharing. it can cause serious trouble for PP if you do, including the loss of a server.
I'm also wondering why nobody, especially Daniel pointed this out yet.

why would you even want to use a proxy in addition to vpn. that's really not necessary, and torrenting only through a proxy is retarded.
actually daniel pointed it out in this thread and apologized for not having it on the web page yet...i appreciate you explaining the severity of it though...i have no want for causing any problems and will take steps to avoid causing them, thank you

im not attempting to torrent through just the proxy alone...im attempting to run utorrent through the VPN and a proxy, as i do understand that a proxy isnt very secure on its own, to be able to have access to usa only content that detects and blocks all access through a proxy yet allows VPN access...so that i may have my browser running through the american VPN and also be able to safely run utorrent through the proxy simultaneously....maybe im going about this all wrong

the goal here is to be able to access US content (netflix streaming) through my browser and run utorrent at the same time while remaining secure

JackCarver said:
Torrenting only through a proxy is stupid. You have to rely on the Torrent Client that really everything goes through the Proxy as your Default Route is still your provider... If there is one mistake then you expose your real IP.
so even if i have the VPN tunnel running, by attempting to also run the proxy im also bypassing the VPN and connecting through my ISP? sorry for all the noob questions, im just trying to wrap my head around how this works...my knowledge on this subject is very limited

JackCarver said:
And torrenting only makes Fun with private trackers, otherwise i would stay with OCHs, the Speed there is much better without any danger. Open Trackers suck...
my isp is not a high quality one, i max out my speed at 1.5mb/s down and .5mb/s up but its the only thing available in my location so moving over to another format for speed quality isnt really much of an improvement (they will both most likely be about the same speed for me) and before i do i will have to do some research into this OCH thing....do you know any good places to gather knowledge on the subject?

Wow,

I had no idea this thread would get this busy :rolleyes:

What you are trying to achieve seems to be quite tricky. To me the best (as in safest) solution seems to be the use of a virtual machine (VM) for utorrent, and having it set up with a shared folder and a firewall permitting internet access only via openvpn. Of course it would also work the other way around with a browser in a VM.

PP Daniel said:
Wow,

I had no idea this thread would get this busy :rolleyes:

What you are trying to achieve seems to be quite tricky. To me the best (as in safest) solution seems to be the use of a virtual machine (VM) for utorrent, and having it set up with a shared folder and a firewall permitting internet access only via openvpn. Of course it would also work the other way around with a browser in a VM.
wouldn't this still force everything through a single server (non usa only, or usa only) causing either netflix to break or torrenting on a US server? or does the VM have its own openVPN operating on it as well as the host machine?

You can choose the Network setup in a VM: - routed Network - bridged Network In first case the VM uses the host's network In second case the VM has it's own independent network If you choose a bridged network then you can operate 2 Independent VPN, one for netflix one for torrenting, that's a good setup for your case. Firewall in the VM if you choose the VM for torrenting would be Good to prevent IP leaks if VPN crashes, like Daniel suggested.

Hi,

JackCarver was faster. :cool:

Even a routed network would not be a problem, but in this case the traffic/tunnel from the VM would go through the hosts OpenVPN tunnel too (and thus cause a large roundtrip time).

PP Daniel said:
Hi,

Even a routed network would not be a problem, but in this case the traffic/tunnel from the VM would go through the hosts OpenVPN tunnel too (and thus cause a large roundtrip time).
just to make sure i understand correctly:

so this means if i run a VM on my machine for torrenting i would run openVPN on both the host machine and in the VM with the host running through a US server for viewing netflix and the VM would also be running openVPN through a torrent friendly server for utorrent.....if i choose a routed network for the VM it would run a tunnel through the host tunnel to a torrent friendly server...if i choose a bridged network for the VM it would bypass the host tunnel and run through the torrent friendly server directly...in either case it would make a secure connection for doing both simultaneously (with some latency when running the routed network) and i can utilize both the VM and host for just the opposite as well if i so choose (VM for netflix and host for torrents) without issue

PP Daniel said:
Hi,

Yes, that is how it works for me. I use several VMs for testing purposes and have a setup like this.

That's right :)

You can choose Torrents in VM or netflix in VM, in both setups you would have your US IP fpr netflix and you can do torrents through secure VPN. I would prefer bridged setup for speed reasons.

JackCarver said:
No with VPN you are safe, my example was for only Proxy setup. OCHs: share-online.biz uploaded.to Very good Site to find links: boerse.bz
oh i see.....och is like mediafire and rapidshare and such.....ive used them as well but find it more difficult to find what im looking for...my misunderstanding for not connecting OCH to that method of file sharing...thank you

thanks to everyone for helping me figure this out....the answer isnt to run torrents through a proxy while on a US vpn but to run VMware and run two VPNs at the same time...this should fix the DHT issue and still allow for US (proxy blocking) content while maintaining high security for privacy reasons and avoiding non torrent friendly servers all in one...if there was a point system in this forum i would give everyone recognition

Web Proxies to Unblock Torrenting Sites

When you search words such as “Web Proxy”, “torrent proxy”, “unblock torrent proxy” in google, you will get many results, such as:

https://www.proxysite.com/

http://www.kproxy.com/

https://hidester.com/proxy/

https://unblocked.lol/

you just need to directly copy and paste the URL of the torrent site, and then click the button to access. Here we take https://unblocked.lol/ as an example to tell how to unblock torrent websites.

Step 1: Visit https://unblocked.lol/ and then copy and paste one torrent site into the box, for example, https://torrents.me/ (now, this site cannot be directly opened in Google).

Step 2: A new site will be automatically opened, and then you can search your resources at here. This is a pretty quick way to solve block torrent issue.

Back