Answered: utorrent and DHT through proxy

necro1

i have been able to run utorrent succesfully through the vpn but with the proxy enabled i have had no luck.....DHT says its waiting to announce and never logs in not allowing me to connect to any peers....if i let it run for a little while with just the vpn i can then run the proxy but that also blocks out DHT again and i cant establish any new connections....is this a limitation of the proxy or do i have to change some settings to get this running properly?

Hi,

what does DHT stand for? :confused:

Have you tried using a proxy while using an openVPN tunnel already? In this case no authentication on the proxy is needed, the proxy handles your request without authentication, thus it must be disabled.

Torrents via Proxy isn't really a good idea... So don't use it, they will get you ;-)

Next problem is that you need incoming connections to seed and this isn't possible via proxy. Stay with OpenVPN and be happy :)

By the way: DHT an explanation out of the web:

What is DHT?

DHT network ( Distributed Hash Table ) is used as a backup ( in public Trackers ).
In short, it is a function that makes the program less dependent on trackers,
because it via some 'Nods' talk with other users and exchange information.

If the tracker you're using crashes, the program can find other computers,
which retrieves the exact same file as you and share data with them.

The feature is definitely the way forward for file sharing.
Because it this way becomes harder to stop using bit-torrent,
but there is also a safety issue if you are a member of a private tracker and
not feel like your program sends information to all sorts of other computers.

But all Torrents from Private Trackers is disabled in the torrent.
From Up-loaders side and a Rule they must apply.
But turn off DHT in your client, so you do not use System Resources on the PC.

DHT distributed " tracker " ( hash table )
1. ) Allows non-member users to download member torrents ( members of a Privat Tracker ),
allowing them to do whatever the hell they want and not be held accountable for it.
( They are Ghost Leeching )

2. ) The Client forces it on for you and keeps DHT " seeded ", even when the tracker is up or down.

3. ) It will share your passkey, enabling other people to download torrents masquerading as you.
Sharing your torrents through DHT is not only a way to get you Ratio limited / ban, it's also against the site rules.

What to do.?? = Always Disable DHT !!

Most closed trackers don't allow it.

im not sure what DHT stands for but its in the tracker list....i have been using the VPN to connect but was trying to further the security by also using the proxy along with it...with dht disable i get no nodes to connect to so i do not get any peer connections to download or upload to unless i have previously connected without a proxy and established connections, then i can disable DHT and i will continue to be able to download from those connections untill they are all offline ( which does happen)....with DHT disabled (or with the proxy enabled) it will sit at "connecting to peers" forever and never get a connection...which is why im wondering if there is a way around it....im always using the VPN through various servers, i just want utorrent to also use a proxy on top of that...i have had it set for authenticating so i will try to disable that....attached is a pic of what i see and it will remain there for as long as i am using a proxy....i will update if disabling authentication fixes the problem

after disabling authentication for the proxy there is no change....it continues to wait for DHT to log in and "announce" while "connecting to peers" indefinitely with no connections appearing....but it works beautiful without the proxy and only openVPN

btw im using the PP tunnel manager for managing the proxy and have verified that it is working by applying it to my browser and verifying my ip address and checking for dns leaks at https://www.dnsleaktest.com/

Yes verify what you want...As you can imagine there is a Little difference between webbrowsing and doing Torrents and you won't get any further Security by using a Proxy. Browse the Web and Look for Proxy and Torrents and you will find the reason.

ok what i meant was the tunnel manager APPEARS to be working properly because my browser can connect through it while running openVPN...i came here for help because i have browsed all over the net for an answer and the closest thing i could find was on the utorrent forums and the dick heads there said to contact the proxy admins because they were utorrent support not proxy support

i also understand that running torrents and browsing are different things...but when i use checkmytorrentip while using the vpn proxy combo it does show the correct ip from the proxy......i am new to VPNs and proxies and i may not understand all the little details involved with operating them which brings me back to my original question....is this a limitation of the proxy or are my settings incorrect?

things i have tried:
1.VPN only= works
2.proxy only=no new connections (no down or uploading unless previous connections were made)
3.VPN+proxy= same as 2
4.disabled authentication in utorrent for the proxy=no new connections and checkmytorrentip gets a "proxy connect error"
5.disabled DHT=no new connections made even without the proxy and only the VPN
6.bypassed the tunnel manager by typing in the info in utorrent=no change

it has been suggested that the proxy must support UDP for DHT to function properly, could this be the issue? does PP proxies support UDP connections?

another question: is it safe to run torrents through the USA VPN servers? (meaning will the vpn encryption protect any information inside regardless of what server i use or what geolocation it resides in?) i understand that i have to follow the laws of the country the server resides in, but my little bit of knowledge pertaining to VPNs suggests that no one would be able to "see" whats in any one connection to the server or would be able to tell who is connecting with p2p software....i ask this because if i were to watch netflix (only available in the usa) and run utorrent at the same time i would have to use a server located in the usa, which is also why i want to use a proxy in utorrent so i can forward to another server located in another country...i realize this doesnt really improve my security but it does add another layer of protection

also @jackcarver i have, as i stated before, searched all over the web for an answer to the DHT problem with no success at finding a definitive answer, so i would only find it logical to come to the forums of the proxy owners in hopes of them answering their customer's questions. also a google search for those two keywords (torrents, proxy) brings up a nice list of how proxies protect your privacy for torrent downloads and how they work great together https://www.google.de/#q=proxy+and+torrents....i have found others asking the same question as me for the DHT not logging in or announcing causing no peers to connect but havnt found any solutions as of yet.....since it appears you have discovered a solution, how about a link to help out a fellow member of the forums?

Hi,

I'd say the proxy settings are most likely wrong. Can you please post some screenshots of the settings? You may also send me a PM. I'll try to reproduce the issue then. But JackCarver was right, in this case you don't gain any further security by using a proxy, when already using an OpenVPN tunnel. My suggestion is, do it the other way around, I'll explain below.

Using the US servers for any kind of p2p is not a good idea though, I have to add this information on the website still, sorry. Better pick a server in Europe for p2p (France is also not a good choice, they are also very strict about p2p). Regardless which one you pick, I suggest using the pp tunnel manger and an HTTP proxy in the US for doing both at the same time. With different browsers (and several different tunnels/proxys if needed), this setup is a lot more flexible. You may keep your utorrent running, while switching the ssh2 tunnel/proxy to another server/country, while also having another browser who does not use an SSH2 tunnel/proxy (but uses the OpenVPN tunnel of course).

Why are torrents so dangerous and One Click Hoster are not?

The reason is, with torrents you publish films or music for others, but on OCHs you don't. So torrents are leeching and seeding and you can't seed via a proxy.
Seeding goes always round the proxy, in your case the VPN where you have to specify a port forward for torrents working. So why using a proxy when half of the traffic goes round?

below are the screenshots you asked for...if there are any others please inform me and i will supply them...unless this just gets too messy i would rather the solution be displayed here for others with the same issue...we can get through the tough parts in PM so as not to muddy the forums up with back and forth chatter though

no need to apologize, i was asking because i wasnt sure myself, but i am aware enough to know that the usa isnt torrent friendly

could you please guide me through the setup of such a...errr....setup?
...as far as im aware, only the usa VPN servers will allow me to watch netflix or other usa only content, so if i was running utorrent and using an openVPN tunnel wouldnt that restrict me to running utorrent through an american vpn server since netflix detects and blocks any attempt at access through a proxy? or is there a way to have more than one VPN server being accessed at the same time (in parallel)?

i may not have the settings correct on the forwarding tunnel because i may have misunderstood how it functions but i can connect through it

The settings are looking good except the Second authentication like Daniel said before. No you can't use "Redirect Gateway" VPNs parallel because they alter your default Route towards them. But as you want Torrents via Proxy then simply use a non US Proxy for Torrents as you desire. And don't Forward the torrent Port to VPN.

Tested your setup with my own VPN and Socks Proxy Servers and it works without any problems. But as i said, utorrent says "No incoming connections" cause you can't seed with this setup. You have to define a port forward to the VPN and this bypasses your proxy connection.

another question: is it safe to run torrents through the USA VPN servers?
you mustn't use torrents on these servers at all for filesharing. it can cause serious trouble for PP if you do, including the loss of a server.
I'm also wondering why nobody, especially Daniel pointed this out yet.

why would you even want to use a proxy in addition to vpn. that's really not necessary, and torrenting only through a proxy is retarded.

Torrenting only through a proxy is stupid. You have to rely on the Torrent Client that really everything goes through the Proxy as your Default Route is still your provider... If there is one mistake then you expose your real IP.

And torrenting only makes Fun with private trackers, otherwise i would stay with OCHs, the Speed there is much better without any danger. Open Trackers suck...

JackCarver said:
The settings are looking good except the Second authentication like Daniel said before. No you can't use "Redirect Gateway" VPNs parallel because they alter your default Route towards them. But as you want Torrents via Proxy then simply use a non US Proxy for Torrents as you desire. And don't Forward the torrent Port to VPN.
ok is the second authentication the one in utorrent or in the pp tunnel manager? because when i disable it in utorrent i get an error for the checkmytorrentip (im assuming this means that torrent cant connect) but it works fine when enabled in utorrent

i didnt think you could run two VPNs in parallel....

i dont know how to not forward the torrent port to VPN

JackCarver said:
Tested your setup with my own VPN and Socks Proxy Servers and it works without any problems. But as i said, utorrent says "No incoming connections" cause you can't seed with this setup. You have to define a port forward to the VPN and this bypasses your proxy connection.
does this mean that if i were to properly have it set up, my connection would bypass the proxy and use the VPN alone despite my attempts at using the proxy?

also a test for me would be to be able to safely run utorrent and watch netflix streaming at the same time while using a VPN

Back