OPNsense routers need additional tweak to make PP work

nemo

Freshly Joined Member
OPNsense is related to pfSense and is more secure in my opinion (the internet has lots of discussions on this topic that can be Googled).

I am a new user that recently updated my account from a one month subscription to a 2-year subscription. I use OpenVPN in OpenSUSE 15.1 OS desktop and FreeBSD 11.2 OS OPNsense router. I use the NeuroRouting feature and find it works well and the speeds are fast enough to stream 1080p video. I like the fact PP has manuals and config generators for any system. There is a pfSense router manual and it works succesfully for OPNsense routers too (both pfSense and OPNsense are related, and are based on FreeBSD). For OPNsense, there are a couple of tweaks needed to make it work properly: use tls-auth and not tls-crypt; leave the advanced settings box blank (adding the advanced/custom settings from the config files breaks the service). Both the pfSense and Linux .ovpn configuration files works in OPNsense routers. For desktop I just use Network Manager and import the files as-is and all works flawlessly with no needed adjustments (the Linux OS is OpenSUSE 15.1). I also use VPN of AirVPN for past many years, and think Perfect-Privacy has advantages compared to AirVPN. For those that want to use Perfect-Privacy in a pfSense/OPNsense firewall router, a cool capability is creating multi-VPN group gateway setup for load-balancing and fault tolerant uninterrupted service. For the procedure you can visit https://nguvu.org/pfsense/pfsense-multi-vpn-wan/. Just remember, don't add the custom settings in the Advanced settings option box in the OPNsense router (the pfSense manula by Perefect-Privacy has a copy-paste instruction for these settings and doing this for OPNsense will prevent it from working). If you want to learn more about OPNsense you can visit https://opnsense.org/ . My hope for Perfect-Privacy is that more users sign up so the traffic is higher - I believe the additional noise will enhance privacy.

Back