The 'Browser clock' (timezone) and IP destination

Stovan

Hi Guys,

Let say my real destination is London, UK, but I use USA IP address.

If my browser timezone doesn’t match the timezone of my request IP location, it’s a hint that I'm not where I say I am.

For example, the time zone of my browser is Los Angeles, USA while my request IP location timezone is London, UK.

Timezone configuration can be detected from a browser with a simple Javascript request.

Does Virtual Private Network (Perfect Privacy) configure timezone with every IP address?

And if NOT, how can we solve this problem?

Stovan

Deactivate Javascript. -> Very unpleasant, your surfing experience drops massively.

Use a location that is in your time zone.

Otherwise: It's just a hint. Assume that every website that wants to find out whether the IP belongs to a VPN.

But that doesn't "reveal" you. As long as you do not provide any clear personal data, you are still "anonymous" to the website.

Hi Guys,

Let say my real destination is London, UK, but I use USA IP address.

If my browser timezone doesn’t match the timezone of my request IP location, it’s a hint that I'm not where I say I am.

For example, the time zone of my browser is Los Angeles, USA while my request IP location timezone is London, UK.

Timezone configuration can be detected from a browser with a simple Javascript request.

Does Virtual Private Network (Perfect Privacy) configure timezone with every IP address?

And if NOT, how can we solve this problem?

Stovan

PP VPN does no that.

But what you are searching for is one of the features of the FF addon Chameleon (not available on Chrome): Among several other things, this addon optionally adapts time zone and language according IP.

See the Chameleon's Wiki on Github, for further explanations.

But that doesn't "reveal" you. As long as you do not provide any clear personal data, you are still "anonymous" to the website.
Right, but appearing eg with a japanese IP and a german time zone is weird and increases your fingerprint, rendering you more traceable. On the other hand, having a timezone consisteny with your IP is smoothing your profile, witch is better.

Hi Guys,

I found a security breach in Chameleon and think this add-on is not secure.

Any opinions?
These HTTP Headers are configurable in Chameleon. It's entirely possible to make these fields blank (click on Chameleon icon, then on < >, then unselect "Spoof X-Forwarded-For/Via IPs").

Moreover, having them filled with random IPs is not a security breach at all. Once randomly selected, these IP make the entity you are connecting to is prone to think 1) that you are using a proxy (which may be true, but can be detected by other means) 2) that one of these random IPs is in fact your true IP, so obfuscating a little more your connection :)

How did you actually change the content types?!?!
With me :
text / html, application / xhtml + xml, application / xml; q = 0.9, image / webp, * / *; q = 0.8

and likes medium

How did you actually change the content types?!?!
With me :
text / html, application / xhtml + xml, application / xml; q = 0.9, image / webp, * / *; q = 0.8
On ipcheck‧info, mine is green: text/html,application/xhtml+xml,application/xml;q=0.9,*/*;q=0.8

But these values depend on the user agent sent by your browser to ipcheck‧info. This site consider as bad or at best medium everything that is not corresponding to TorBrowser behavior. So if 1) you are not faking your browser's UA with Chameleon and are using a browser other than FF, or 2) you have configured Chameleon in order it sends a UA other than FF, ipcheck‧info will consider this as bad or medium.

Last thing: When using the "time zone according IP feature, the engine used by Chameleon to determine which timezone is corresponding to the vpn/proxy IP your are using may in rare case be wrong: It's the case for London and Riga proxy's IP. In that case, you can force the association IP <-> TimeZone in clicking on the gear -> P Rules and define here the right association.

Back