Answered: Win10 & 1903 Update - VPN Will Not Connect

enthusiast01

Win10 1903 has broken most VPN's. Microsoft has acknowledged it. The workaround has been to enable telemetry in the group policy editor / registry. Then make sure RASMAN service is running (restart it if it has not). I have done this. I still cannot connect to any sever.

Can anyone help?

Hi,
Have a similar problem. GUI is running but NO connection to server.Cannot connect to a city like New York. Shows me ... an unidentified network, no internet access. Run Bit defender, Turn on or off firewall is not changing anything also the switch from openVPN to ISEC . Bought EXPRESS VPN for a month for testing. Same problems. After I sent an e-mail to service they fixed it without my interference. Bit Defender firewall was on. I do not know what to do. Had never a problem with PP for over a year.
I need desperately a VPN but with the problems now I might go to expressvpn back . Same price but less privacy !!!
Any advise. The PP official advise is always the firewall but I think that is the new Hyper-V Virtual Ethernet Adapter. I do not know how to deal with that.
Any advise??

Hi Daniel,
I actually went so far and did set up a new virtual VM from scratch yesterday evening to test this. I remember I was online last week without experiencing any issues. Lately (friday night) I installed KB4517211 (https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4517211/windows-10-update-kb4517211), the latest commulative update from Microsoft.
I did not test the VPN right away, but yesterday I tried several times connecting to different servers without any luck.

If you check the link provided here, under Highlights, you'll see the following:
Updates an issue that may cause you to disconnect from a virtual private network (VPN) on cellular networks
Addresses an issue with intermittent virtual private network (VPN) disconnections on cellular networks.

I wonder if it may be any relationship between this and the issue we are experiencin?
I'll try to do a reset but I'm not sure it will help due I'm using a brand new VM...

Daniel,

I'm sure you guys have a test Windows 10 VM you can use to test this. Could you please make sure that you install all available updates from Microsoft and try to connect, just to confirm?

Daniel,

I'm sure you guys have a test Windows 10 VM you can use to test this. Could you please make sure that you install all available updates from Microsoft and try to connect, just to confirm?

The window firewall re-set is not working (by the way … change the re-set guide to win 10 would help). In my desperation I bought EXPRESS VPN for one month only to test. Same issue … but Bitdefender firewall was running. Contact their service. They fixed it without my interference ( still Bitdef. firewall on). Why they can do this and not PP?

The window firewall re-set is not working (by the way … change the re-set guide to win 10 would help). In my desperation I bought EXPRESS VPN for one month only to test. Same issue … but Bitdefender firewall was running. Contact their service. They fixed it without my interference ( still Bitdef. firewall on). Why they can do this and not PP?

PP, could you please provide an update on this? Are you guys looking at this?

Currently experiencing this after upgrading on the latest build of win10, 18990.vb_release.190921-1704
Tried the telemetry registry hack, didnt work either.

Hi guys, Try using OpenVPN or Viscosity client. I got those working without any issues. It is the PP VPN Manager that is somehow not working on our Windows 10 releases. I can't understand why PP are not taking this serious.

Hi guys, Try using OpenVPN or Viscosity client. I got those working without any issues. It is the PP VPN Manager that is somehow not working on our Windows 10 releases. I can't understand why PP are not taking this serious.
Hi guys, I had PP running for more than I year. No issues. Running with Bitdefender fire wall and CCleaner. All software PP service member do not like and recommend to remove. I do not trust Microsoft fire wall or anti virus software! In the summer 2019 a windows up-date came with the new Hyper-V virtual ethernet adapter. Since then I cannot connect to a city anymore (e.g. New York). My internet provider internet access works fine. PP manager is running. The Hyper-V vitual ethernet adapter set up an additional network. It shows as unidentified network .. no internet access.
All the tips from PP service with the Windows Defender firewall re-set did not work. I search the forums on the net and found lots of people think that the Hyper-V adapter is the problem. Some geeks programmed a way around and could fix their problems. I am not a geek. Frustrated I tried the new "BEST" VPN ...EXPRESSVPN for one month. Same issue. After I contacted Expressvpn service … they fixed it without my interference. Still running Bitdefender firewall and CCleaner.
I do not believe the PP issue is a Windows firewall issue as the PP service claim. Expess VPN can fix the connection issue PP should be able to fix it too; however I need a WORKING vpn and I guess I have to buy the 2nd. class vpn EXRESSVPN.
Any ideas are welcome.

Hi guys, I had PP running for more than I year. No issues. Running with Bitdefender fire wall and CCleaner. All software PP service member do not like and recommend to remove. I do not trust Microsoft fire wall or anti virus software! In the summer 2019 a windows up-date came with the new Hyper-V virtual ethernet adapter. Since then I cannot connect to a city anymore (e.g. New York). My internet provider internet access works fine. PP manager is running. The Hyper-V vitual ethernet adapter set up an additional network. It shows as unidentified network .. no internet access.
All the tips from PP service with the Windows Defender firewall re-set did not work. I search the forums on the net and found lots of people think that the Hyper-V adapter is the problem. Some geeks programmed a way around and could fix their problems. I am not a geek. Frustrated I tried the new "BEST" VPN ...EXPRESSVPN for one month. Same issue. After I contacted Expressvpn service … they fixed it without my interference. Still running Bitdefender firewall and CCleaner.
I do not believe the PP issue is a Windows firewall issue as the PP service claim. Expess VPN can fix the connection issue PP should be able to fix it too; however I need a WORKING vpn and I guess I have to buy the 2nd. class vpn EXRESSVPN.
Any ideas are welcome.

It is quite interesting what you are mentioning here mate. I'm running a small virtual environment on my master VM too (Hyper-V), and of course I do have a dedicated interface for all virtual VMs (External Virtual Switch). Have you tried using OpenVPN client instead of PP VPN Manager? Or any other VPN client as Viscosity? They are actually working, both of them. So I'm not really sure if that is the root cause really. What I know is that PP VPN Manager is the only client not working as per today. It may be a compatibility issue with those kind of interfaces and PP VPN Manager.
The PP service usually are very good actually. Some of us had a major issue for a while ago when upgrading from Windows 10 Version 1607 (Anniversary Update) to Version 1703 (Creators Update), and PP Service were on it right from the start, and did track the root cause to some Language settings. I really hope they take this seriously so we can enjoy such a great VPN service.

I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 Home Edition recently and am having intermittent problems connecting to VPN. The problem seems to occur if I turn off VPN during a Windows session, then try to reconnect to VPN. Usually, I have to quit PP, and reboot my PC to acquire a VPN connection.

Here are screen grabs of the messages I get:

Attachments

• Screenshot (3).png
    Screenshot (3).png
    129.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot (5).png
    Screenshot (5).png
    150.9 KB · Views: 5
I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 Home Edition recently and am having intermittent problems connecting to VPN. The problem seems to occur if I turn off VPN during a Windows session, then try to reconnect to VPN. Usually, I have to quit PP, and reboot my PC to acquire a VPN connection.

Here are screen grabs of the messages I get:

Solved. It appears that when I disconnect from PP VPN my default broadband connection is no longer the default and is disconnected.
Control Panel\Network and Internet\Network Connections

I should have posted this months ago when PP tech support solved my issue. I apologize, I got very busy IRL. Tech support simply told me to open the client & go to settings - other - & click reset network connections. That fixed the issue. I have not had the issue since.

Back