Guide: OpenVPN on a Router with AsusWRT

PP Daniel

Staff member
This thread refers to the how-to OpenVPN on a Router with AsusWRT. Please only post in this thread if you have questions, comments or feedback regarding this howto. To keep this thread updated and free from obsolete and redundant information, this thread will be cleaned up occasionally.

Hello. I have a router asus tuf-ax5400, firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_24121
When adding a file, ovpn gives the error "invalid file path or file configuration." Help set up openvpn.

The configs you get here under downloads are designed for clients, not for servers. That's probably where the problem will lie.
You are uploading client-config for the server and your vpn fusion cannot implement this.

Have you ever thought about AsusWrt Merlin GNUton's builds to change?

Greetings. I do everything according to the instructions. I tried downloading versions of OpenVPN 2.4/2.5/2.6. Does not work.
In the file configuration settings I select: OpenVPN, TCP, AES-256-GCM, TLS-CRYPT, Inline, City, invalid (openvpn). I also added the device, but the VPN does not turn on.IMG_20231020_134315_116.jpg

from openvpn 2.5.*: please set TLS control channel security to Encrypt Channel and compress to Disabled

Why don't you change the firmware? Asuswrt-Merlin is definitely better and you can choose more. Like UDP, which would already be faster.

Seems to be due to your original firmware, you can hardly put together your VPN flexibly and OpenVPN 2.4.* is already quite old

I installed Asuswrt-Merlin yesterday and am doing the configuration in the VPN Client. The photo above is Merlin, and all the settings according to your advice are also in Merlin.

Code:
No valid translation found for TLS cipher 'TLS_CHACHA20_POLY1305_SHA256'
No valid translation found for TLS cipher 'TLS_AES_256_GCM_SHA384'
Check your TLS cipher. But you can ignore warnings first

Code:
 Linux ip -6 addr add failed: external program exited with error status: 2
This is probably where your mistake lies. IPv6 is not supported by OpenVPN in Asus. Unfortunately, a stupid bug. Solution:
Code:
pull-filter ignore ifconfig-ipv6
pull-filter ignore route-ipv6
in the config, under "Custom Configuration", insert and save.

I did it, a new problem appeared. I didn't change anything in the settings.

Attachments

• IMG_20231020_192623.jpg
    IMG_20231020_192623.jpg
    138.5 KB · Views: 7
Back