Answered: IPv6 Detection?

Pg6LC10f

I run multiple "leak detection" tests from several different websites to test various VPN's for leaks. When I run those tests on the previous VPN that I used, they do not show any IPv6 address. It is unknown. When I run those same tests using PP, it shows the IPv6 address of the server that I am supposed to be using (the PP one) - but it does not show my actual IPv6 address.

Ipleak.net will also show multiple PP DNS addresses. For example, if I connect to Dallas, TX - ipleak will show the DNS addresses for United Kingdom & Dallas, TX.

In both situations, I am using the exact same browser / plugins / etc, the only difference is the VPN. Can you explain why PP will show the IPv6 address of its server(s) & why this does or does not posse a risk to me?

The VPN assigns two DNS resolvers (the server you connect to and another random server). It's normal to see both in a DNS leak test.

I don't quite get what you mean by "it shows the IPv6 address of the server that I am supposed to be using (the PP one) - but it does not show my actual IPv6 address" - what is your "actual" address?
IPv4 and IPv6 both work mostly the same. The VPN server assigns an internal address to your tunnel and translates it to a global address. Apparently, NeuroRouting now also supports IPv6. If you have that feature enabled, you will often see different addresses on different IP test sites, as the VPN server adds another hop to your tunnel.

I run multiple "leak detection" tests from several different websites to test various VPN's for leaks. When I run those tests on the previous VPN that I used, they do not show any IPv6 address. It is unknown. When I run those same tests using PP, it shows the IPv6 address of the server that I am supposed to be using (the PP one) - but it does not show my actual IPv6 address.

This is because Perfect Privacy - unlike most other VPN services - provides IPv6 support. When you connect to one of their servers, you will get both an IPv4 and IPv6 address. With other VPNs, they will only give you an IPv4 address, and attempt to block IPv6 - but often they fail, resulting in IPv6 leaks. Perfect Privacy's method is much more secure (IPv4 and IPV6), and since the web is going in the direction of IPv6, they are ahead of the curve.

I don't quite get what you mean by "it shows the IPv6 address of the server that I am supposed to be using (the PP one) - but it does not show my actual IPv6 address" - what is your "actual" address?

My real one (actual) vs the PP one.

The VPN assigns two DNS resolvers (the server you connect to and another random server). It's normal to see both in a DNS leak test.

The other VPN I used to use does not show its IPv6 address in the same leak test. That is why it makes me wonder.

This is because Perfect Privacy - unlike most other VPN services - provides IPv6 support. When you connect to one of their servers, you will get both an IPv4 and IPv6 address. With other VPNs, they will only give you an IPv4 address, and attempt to block IPv6 - but often they fail, resulting in IPv6 leaks. Perfect Privacy's method is much more secure (IPv4 and IPV6), and since the web is going in the direction of IPv6, they are ahead of the curve.

Some of the leak detection tools warned me that I had an IPv6 leak. But the address that was shown was for the PP server not my real IP address. It made me concerned because the previous VPN never showed any IPv6 addresses.

So as long as my real IPv4 / IPv6 address is not shown in the leak test, then it is secure, correct?

Back