Any updates if Perfect Privacy is considering WireGuard?

Thunderrooster

Freshly Joined Member
I know at one time Perfect Privacy was not going to support WireGuard but what about now? I see more and more VPN providers offer it now.

webslap

I think PP will not do that anytime soon.
Wireguard in the offiical standard version, has definitly no dynamic IP address management available.
Therefore, the Wireguard implementations in other VPN services are always limited to special apps (non-standard-wireguard clients).

For the user, this also means an increased risk that the data can remain on the server. (IP address of the client and ports used by a client must be made known to the server in advance).

therefore, for various reasons, PP will probably have exactly these fears and therefore prefer to give wireguard a wide berth at present. for the sake of the users' privacy.

Erenys

I think PP will not do that anytime soon.
(...)

For the user, this also means an increased risk that the data can remain on the server. (IP address of the client and ports used by a client must be made known to the server in advance).

therefore, for various reasons, PP will probably have exactly these fears and therefore prefer to give wireguard a wide berth at present. for the sake of the users' privacy.

I prefer no to use a vpn protocol with so much privacy deficiencies. But on the other hand these last years, some vpn providers providing wireguard have been well aware of these issues, and developped some workarounds (eg Double Nat). It should be interesting I think to discuss that.

Some useful links:

webslap

Of course, there are still many reservations against Wireguard, which are also reflected in numerous critical reports. That is certainly also a reason why this protocol will not be coming to PP so soon. as far as I know the guys at PP, they will not get involved in experiments with data security. This is a conservative behavior, but it is quite understandable.