Guide: Always-on VPN with Android

PP Stephan

Staff member
This thread refers to the Howto Always-on VPN with Android. Please only post in this thread if you have questions, comments or feedback regarding this howto. To keep this thread updated and free from obsolete and redundant information, this thread will be cleaned up occasionally.

Last edited:
Hallo Stephan,

ich bin leider auch betroffen - Galaxy Note 4, Android 6.0.1, Stand Anfang April 2017. Aus den Google Verlautbarungen werde ich nicht schlau genug. Gibt es vernünftige Alternativen, zu denen Ihr raten könnt?

Herzliche Grüße cdmkeller

Is there an option to not keep the vpn always on. As i do use it for a limited period of time.

I'm using an Honor 9 with Android Nougat 7.0 and cannot get the "Always on VPN" setting to remain. It is selected and saved, but it never sticks. I also installed the APK client and it does not have the option for "Always on". What am I missing?

The UI has changed a bit since Android 6 (updated documentation will come soon): In the VPN profile, click "advanced options" and make sure that "Always-On VPN" is active.

The UI has changed a bit since Android 6 (updated documentation will come soon): In the VPN profile, click "advanced options" and make sure that "Always-On VPN" is active.

If I select a specifically configured server, I can select "Always on" but the selection does not remain.

If I use your APK, there is no setting available for "always on".

EDIT: I was able to get OpenVPN configs to work. The problem was that I was using a UDP file that I transferred from my Linux laptop. Found out on the "How To" page for Android OpenVPN setup that mobile phones use TCP only. I downloaded the TCP configs and it's good now, but this "Always On" method using the stock Android settings with IPSec still won't work though.

Following the "How To" everything seems right, but when trying to connect it shows "connecting..." for a little while and then says "Unsuccessful. I'm about 90% certain that I am doing it right, but theres that other 10% that makes me question myself. I've never had trouble setting up VPN configs manually in OpenVPN for Linux across several different machines, but I realize this is a different method than importing .ovpn configs like I'm used to. Still, I am pretty sure I did it correctly but no luck.

Does the bug mentioned above give the same error that I described here in my post? "Connecting..." then "unsuccessful"?

I can get the Android client APK to work and connect just fine but I'm having trouble with both OpenVPN (I get a fragment directive core error) via importing .ovpn config files, and trouble with this IPSec method for Always On usage.

Last edited:
Back