Answered: Help Needed in Configuring : IP v6 on Advanced Tomato Router with Perfect Privacy VPN

Sajive Trehan

Freshly Joined Member
Hi Everyone

Greetings from Switzerland.

I am new to this group and New to IP v6 on Advanced Tomato Router.

I have a Linksys E2500 V3 Router running Advanced Tomato Build v 3.5 - 140 Mega VPN.

I have two VPN's setup on the OPEN VPN Clients one goes to Tor Guard and second goes to Perfect Privacy.

Both tunnels are setup and fine and I use Custom Routing to redirect each connected machine on the LAN to selectively route them on either VPN.

Perfect Privacy provides a Dynamic IP
Tor Guard has a Dedicated Public IP with selected Ports forwarded to Router Interface.

Things are fine till here.

NOW THE PROBLEM.

I want to implement an IP v6 Tunnel from Tunnelbrokers.net I have /48 and a separate /64 Allocation from them.

My ISP does NOT Provide Static IP Address and gives out Private IP's on the Internet WAN IP and they have a monopoly and have no options in our area.

So the only available IP for the Tunnel is the dedicated one from Torguard or the dynamic one from Perfect Privacy.

Perfect Privacy supports IP v6.

I have done whatever i could but am UNABLE to set up the tunnel.

Tunnelbroker customer support says some problem is with Protocol 41.

Also, I am unable to set up a DHCP v6 Server on the Tomato router so that it can distribute Machines on the Lan with an IP v6 with a prefix of Tunnelbrokers. At the moment it is giving out Local v6 IP's.

Can any from you help please?

I await your answer.

Regards

Sajive Trehan

Zurich - Switzerland.

Solution
Hi,

you should not route the IPv6 tunnels trough either VPN, that does not help with speed/latency and as those IPv6 addresses are assigned to you anyway there also is no privacy/anonymity gained from doing this.

What you should do instead: Use your dynamic IPv4 with some dynamic dns service and have the IPv6 tunnels routed there.
Hi,

you should not route the IPv6 tunnels trough either VPN, that does not help with speed/latency and as those IPv6 addresses are assigned to you anyway there also is no privacy/anonymity gained from doing this.

What you should do instead: Use your dynamic IPv4 with some dynamic dns service and have the IPv6 tunnels routed there.

Solution
Hi,

Dear Daniel

Thanks for your quick reply.

The problem is that the provider provides only Private IP on the router wan as such this is not doable. The external Ip the use is not inbound routable.

Please advise.

Regards
Sajive

A tunnelbroker tunnel won't work through the PP OpenVPN tunnel because v6-in-v4 is neither UDP nor TCP, so port-forwarding is not possible.
The client needs a reachable IPv4 address of its own to receive tunneled IPv6 traffic.

If by "public connectivity" you mean inbound connections through the tunnel, Perfect Privacy can forward TCP/UDP ports for both IPv4 and IPv6. You won't get any public IP addresses of your own.

Dear Daniel,

Thanks for your upfront reply.

Is there any way I can get a Pubic IP v4 address for the Router over VPN? or I have heard about Virtual Public IP's?

I already have a dedicated IP address from Torguard and the Router Interface is accessible over this Dedicated Public IP as I have forwarded the relevant ports from that tunnel to the router. However, the Tunnel Broker is not being created with this Public IP as one Torguard does not support IPv6 and two they are not clear if they support Protocol 41.

As such I have been experimenting with Perfect Privacy as it supports IPv6 and I thought it may be a chance to get a Global IPv6 IP on the router through your tunnel?

Is there a way that I can get an additional Public IP from Perfect Sense which can be put on the WAN of the Router through PPTP or OpenVPN as you suggest.

Sorry, my questions may seem illogical, however, i am trying my best.

Please advise.

Regards
Sajive

Back