Answered: DNS Leak in Linux

Pendragon

I have Linux Mint 19 (Ubuntu 18.04 base)
I have VPN Manager version 1.3.13 installed
current config 1525081123

perfect-privacy.com/check-ip
shows the correct pp IP/DNS

perfect-privacy.com/dns-leaktest
show my *own* ISP's dnses (i.e. somehow there's a DNS leak here....)

not sure how I can resolve this? I noticed in the manual steps tutorial thread someone mentions update-resolve-conf missing, however I verified this file does show up in tje openvpn directory

Only solution I had so far was to set manual DNS Servers in the network-manager and use "automaticly (DHCP), only adresses"

There is no support from Perfect Privacy since "most of their customers are using Windows".
So they give a big shit about their Linux users. They somehow think Linux user = Russian Hacker = must know everything = does not need any support

Money >> Privacy/Security
Even if Privacy is part of your company name, well we don't give a damn fuck.

PS: @Perfect Privacy Team @PP Lars @PP Frank @PP Stephan
Some constructive feedback and how you could regain my trust:

Minimum: Make a goddamn instruction for at least the latest Ubuntu LTS release on how to setup your VPN to prevent any Data Leaks. And of course test it on different setups if it actually works.

Better: Update your Manager to prevent DNS-leak directly

Last edited:
Only solution I had so far was to set manual DNS Servers in the network-manager and use "automaticly (DHCP), only adresses"
Thanks .. I will try adding DNSes via the MATE network applet .. That sounds possible and easily reversible.

That's by far the quickest and easiest solution. Simply use any external DNS servers. If connected with VPN, all such DNS requests will go anonyimized over the VPN tunnel.

i am no expert but you can install openresolv which has solved the issue for me
Dude! That actually fixed my problem.. I'm guessing the opvn files have DNS set lines that require an intermediary DNS manager (which strangely I was missing) program.

Now dns-leaktest reports the correct perfect-privacy DNS server. Thanks!

Back