Answered: Using your VPN in China

joecarr8888

Do I need to configure Your VPN on my computer/phone (using a mac and iphone) in a certain way to insure it will work in China? I am aware that they are cracking down on unauthorized VPN's even more than before starting this month. Thanks

Solution
Obfuscation works for some locations in China. It really depends on the network you are using, they are restricted in different ways. And yes, it is not possible to use obfuscation on iOS at the moment as there is nothing like SSLDroid available.
Obfuscation works for some locations in China. It really depends on the network you are using, they are restricted in different ways. And yes, it is not possible to use obfuscation on iOS at the moment as there is nothing like SSLDroid available.

Solution
Stephan can you give more detail about which networks & what locations PP VPN works in China?

I wonder if any PP members have used PP VPN in China in the last 6 months and did they have any issues?

No, we do not have any details on what locations or networks work and which are not, since we don't log any IP addresses - we don't want to know from where exactly our users are connecting from in order to be able to guarantee their privacy.

Stephan without being too rude your reply is very facile and doesn't bode well for getting technical support from PP Staff Members.
Are you telling me that PP has received no feedback from any of your customers regarding PP working in China?
One of PP's key selling points is that it has Stealth VPN Technology to bypass firewalls (its listed on PP Homepage) but yet you are telling me you have no idea whether it works behind the Great Firewall? This thread is about using VPN in China and has a green solved sign on it when clearly it is not SOLVED.

I am using it in China right now. Obfuscation works but is not necessary. IPSec and OpenVPN both work on mobile (China Mobile) as well as DSL. Performance/Speed is OK, but varies greatly over time. Hongkong Location works best for me, Singapore and Tokyo also acceptable.

Last edited:
How can we possibly make blanket statements about VPN accessibility in all of China?

We can only go by what users experience. While some users can access VPN even without obfuscation like khaberz, other users using a different uplink need to use obfuscation and in some cases the VPN access may not work at all. Also this can change without us knowing.

There are simply no general statements possible, I have visited regularly for several years, using probably a dozen VPN services over time. Some work better, some not at all - and the only reliable information is that it changes all the time.
If there is some political event going on in Beijing, chances are it'll be harder than usual anywhere in the country. If you depend on VPN connection in China, I recommend having at least a couple of the "good" ones available, PP is one of them for me.

Anecdotally, I can give a nice example of the VPN lottery in China right now - last night after 6pm the *only* thing I got working - both on mobile and landline DSL - was PP with Obfuscation through Hongkong. Nothing else would even connect, including a usually reliable competitor service. Today, everything works again like I described above, ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back