Answered: Tracking

• Thread starter Deleted member 3580
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3580

Why do you use 3rd party tracking services on your website?

Solution
"Why do you use 3rd party tracking services on your website?" -> because we give google money so they send us customers, because without customers we don't have a VPN Service. Google is not loaded if you originate from our servers, so we (actually google) only track non customers.

"Do you log real IP address, connection start/end time, and total traffic transferred during the session. And if not can you provide proof." -> No we don't log that. There is no proof on that other than our track record. We had multiple servers seized by police, in multiple countries, and so on...

"Using "deprecated" (I assume you mean "dedicated") server. Why and are they secure?" -> Because its better than virtual servers, because there is no one else...
"Why do you use 3rd party tracking services on your website?" -> because we give google money so they send us customers, because without customers we don't have a VPN Service. Google is not loaded if you originate from our servers, so we (actually google) only track non customers.

"Do you log real IP address, connection start/end time, and total traffic transferred during the session. And if not can you provide proof." -> No we don't log that. There is no proof on that other than our track record. We had multiple servers seized by police, in multiple countries, and so on...

"Using "deprecated" (I assume you mean "dedicated") server. Why and are they secure?" -> Because its better than virtual servers, because there is no one else on the hardware to do shenanigans.

"Does PP use perfect forward secrecy?" -> Yes, always when available.

"Perfect Privacy VPN don't use DNS over TLS which is more secure." -> Nobody does. We tried, there is basically no software support for this. This will be supported the moment its useful.

"What does Perfect-Privacy do on a kernel update which forces the server to do a reboot? Do they delete the whole server and reconfigure it or are they operating on unsecure kernels?"
-> Trash, Reboot, Reupload, Restart. In that order. All systems are always up to date, non critical kernel updates may lag behind a few days because we don't reboot every system the moment some minor kernel update appears.

"What is the difference between waiting for an answer of a question which has been asked in their official support forum or writing a private message? The silence of their support team just shows that they have something to hide" -> Or it shows that we have no interest in answering questions that have been answered many times before, in our FAQ, in the forum, and that are being answered to you by our competent and longterm community members.

Regards
Lars

IVPN use PIWIK instead of Google.
By deprecated I don't mean dedicated. I was referring to same deprecated which logs in app log file.
I know about Tenta which use DNS OVER TLS.

IVPN use PIWIK instead of Google.
By deprecated I don't mean dedicated. I was referring to same deprecated which logs in app log file.
I know about Tenta which use DNS OVER TLS.

Tenta is not a VPN. It is just a browser that calls itself a "VPN browser" - just like Opera.

Deprecated cipher - is that what you are talking about??? If so, they have already explained that:

"The reason we support deprecated ciphers is because we support the new OpenVPN 2.4 feature "cipher negotiation" where the client can actually choose the cipher. The deprecated ciphers in there to support legacy equipment: Certain routers still use old OpenVPN versions and cannot be updated easily. To keep them working, we still support deprecated ciphers."

see here:
https://board.perfect-privacy.com/threads/topg-review-of-perfect-privacy.2126/

This is a FAQ fromVPN.ac and answer provided -
Some other VPN providers do not log anything. Not even the connection start/end time.

Some of them probably don’t, but we seriously doubt that all of them live up to their claims.

There is simply no way to prove a provider’s claims, so it’s really a matter of trust between the user and the provider. VPN servers/daemons log such data by default as they are designed to do so. In most cases, the complete disabling of session logging capabilities requires source code modifications. We have solid reasons to believe that many of them have implemented a default/out-of-the-box VPN solution, with no source code modifications. Moreover, we use the connection logs for security purposes, such as detecting brute-force attempts and several other types of attacks, so we believe that the way we handle the connection logs is a positive security feature.

So I think that if Perfect Privacy don't log anything, it must have done source code modification. Am I right?

I also wanted to know how Perfect Privacy prevents (or have taken measures to prevent ) monitoring of traffic of DNS resolvers by 3rd party. Sorry if this question is asked anywhere else as I don't know German and can't find relevant threads.

Well, that is why all our servers run their own DNS. So while using Perfect Privacy you do not need to use any third party DNS servers.

However, if you are connected to VPN and you use for instance Google nameservers, the DNS requests would still go over the VPN, so Google would not know where they originated from.

There is simply no way to prove a provider’s claims, so it’s really a matter of trust between the user and the provider.
Yep, thats true. Thats a general problem of "computers". The problem starts deeper: Do you trust your hardware vendor that they did not put a backdoor in their chip? What about that megabytes of binary blob firmware thats required to run every modern device from smartwatches to servers? 'Trust' is an unsolved problem of IT.

VPN servers/daemons log such data by default as they are designed to do so. In most cases, the complete disabling of session logging capabilities requires source code modifications.

Thats simply not true.
Most services log to syslogd, so disabling syslogd disables 98% of logging.
Most services also have a config flag to control the log level.
If all else fails, the logfile can simply be symlinked to /dev/null.
So getting a linux system log free is actually pretty easy and no magic and requires no source code modifications.
Or can you name an example of a linux service that needs source code modification to prevent logging?

I also wanted to know how Perfect Privacy prevents (or have taken measures to prevent ) monitoring of traffic of DNS resolvers by 3rd party
We run our own dns servers.

Regards
Lars

Thats simply not true.
Most services log to syslogd, so disabling syslogd disables 98% of logging.
Most services also have a config flag to control the log level.
If all else fails, the logfile can simply be symlinked to /dev/null.
So getting a linux system log free is actually pretty easy and no magic and requires no source code modifications.
Or can you name an example of a linux service that needs source code modification to prevent logging?

We run our own dns servers.

Regards
Lars
So What does Perfect Privacy do out of these? Do you use Symlink to /dev/null or just disabling syslogd for all services at all servers?

Captcha solving shouldn't be needed to submit a ticket to support. That deny the usability of Google filter in TrackStop.

^^ This guy is clearly a troll without a life.

Back in January he got frustrated and said "I am out of here" (see earlier in this thread), yet now he's back just to make stupid accusations.

@Bushido if this is such a bad VPN service, why don't you just cancel and find yourself another VPN? Why do you keep coming back to the forum to make insults and accusations?

(Answer: troll)

^^ This guy is clearly a troll without a life.

Back in January he got frustrated and said "I am out of here" (see earlier in this thread), yet now he's back just to make stupid accusations.

@Bushido if this is such a bad VPN service, why don't you just cancel and find yourself another VPN? Why do you keep coming back to the forum to make insults and accusations?

(Answer: troll)
Well my friend. Leaving a comment on an answer related to my questions is not trolling. (Take care, offensive content) But as you are still customer of a VPN service which obviously has something to hide... Shows your intelligence. :) Now I am finally out and troll somewhere else. Enjoy your stay. :)

Kudos to PP for adding DoT. How can we know that DoT is being in action? I also wanted to know when will you add 3 level killswitch in android?

Back