Answered: Torrenting using VPN

hrebnaim

Freshly Joined Member
Hi guys,

Can you help me, please? I tried to find all over the Internet, but I just didn't find any useful information.
How can I use VPN over torrenting?

I'm using Vuze, and when VPN has been established, the traffic simply stops. Am I should use a proxy? If yes, where can I find the necessary informations (host, port, etc) for the proxy?
If it is not necessary to have a proxy, but simply I should enter a Perfect Privacy VPN server address or host into the Vuze software, can someone help me where is that info in PP, and also where should I put in Vuze those informations?

Thank you

Solution
Well, I haven't used Vuze for a while, and this torrent client is not the easiest to configure, because it has so many options. But for what I remember:

0) First, you have to allow in your firewall incoming TCP and UDP connexion for Vuze, but only for Public (neither Private nor Domain).
Concerning Vuze itself:
1) In Tools->Option->Mode check "advanced".
2) Then in Connection:
2.a) write one of your 3 PP open ports in "Incoming TCP listen port" and "Incoming UDP listen port" (it could be the same port)
2.b) check "From tracker", "Decentralized Tracking", "supplied by another peer" and "Incoming connection"
3) In Tools -> Option-> Plugin: Uncheck UPNP/NAT-PMP
4) In Tools->Option->Connection -> Transport Encryption: Either uncheck...
The servers not suitable for P3P are currently the US and FR servers.

The, you have to select in your bittorrent client one of the 3 ports opened on the PP servers your are using for your connection. For that, open the Vpn Manager, and left-click on "details" under the used server.

NB: If you use cascading, the 3 opened ports have to be derived manually from the local IP used by the exit server

The servers not suitable for P3P are currently the US and FR servers.

The, you have to select in your bittorrent client one of the 3 ports opened on the PP servers your are using for your connection. For that, open the Vpn Manager, and left-click on "details" under the used server.

NB: If you use cascading, the 3 opened ports have to be derived manually from the local IP used by the exit server

Erenys, may I ask some help? I'm sorry, I just don't know what and where to put.
1. I know, I need a non-US and non-FR servers. Okay. On my Perfect Privacy software, I have a bunch of servers (like Amsterdam, Zurich, etc.). I prefer Switzerland-based servers because Switzerland is not a member of EU.
2. I found the "details" of the connection. But where should I put those details into my Vuze? Let me show you how Vuze software looks like. On the connection section I should config something or in the proxy section?

W40YJyz.png

gP2fFr0.png

Thank you in advance.

Well, I haven't used Vuze for a while, and this torrent client is not the easiest to configure, because it has so many options. But for what I remember:

0) First, you have to allow in your firewall incoming TCP and UDP connexion for Vuze, but only for Public (neither Private nor Domain).
Concerning Vuze itself:
1) In Tools->Option->Mode check "advanced".
2) Then in Connection:
2.a) write one of your 3 PP open ports in "Incoming TCP listen port" and "Incoming UDP listen port" (it could be the same port)
2.b) check "From tracker", "Decentralized Tracking", "supplied by another peer" and "Incoming connection"
3) In Tools -> Option-> Plugin: Uncheck UPNP/NAT-PMP
4) In Tools->Option->Connection -> Transport Encryption: Either uncheck "Require encryption", or check it, but in checking "allow non encrypted outgoing connection" and "allow non encrypted incoming connection"at the same time.
5) Restart Vuze

NB: Don't set up anything in "Proxy": Torrenting is possible through a socks5 proxy, but it's far less secure than through a VPN. Obviously, you can use a socks5 proxy over the VPN connection, and in that case it's secure, but then you will loose the ability to forward a port, and you will upload much less data, so that your ratio on private trackers will suffer.

Last edited:
Solution
Back