Answered: Perfect-Privacy vs. Other VPN/Anonymizer Providers

anony123

Hello,

I've been using PP since, if I recall correctly, 2009. I remember choosing it based on server locations, supported protocols, ability to use P2P, but above all else, it's commitment to privacy (no logs etc.). PP was definitely one of the more expensive VPN providers out there, but I figured you get what you pay for.

Flash forward to 2014. VPN services are now mainstream and there are dozens (perhaps hundreds) of companies out there offering private internet access (see this article about VPNs on TorrentFreak). Yet PP remains one of the more "obscure" VPN providers out there. I've never seen it reviewed or talked about, and I've never met another internet user who uses it or has even heard of it (besides on this forum). I'm not entirely sure if this is a good thing or not.

My annual subscription is almost up and while I most likely will continue to use PP, I can't help but look at the alternatives that are out there to see where PP stands.

So this leaves me with a few questions that I thought I might ask.

How come PP isn't on TorrentFreak's list of VPN providers?

If being on their list isn't wanted, would the PP staff be willing to answer TorrentFreak's 4 questions on here? These are:
  1. Do you keep ANY logs which would allow you or a 3rd party to match an IP-address and a time stamp to a user of your service? If so, exactly what information do you hold?
  2. Under what jurisdictions does your company operate and under what exact circumstances will you share the information you hold with a 3rd party?
  3. In the event you receive a DMCA takedown notice or European equivalent, how are these handled?
  4. Which payment systems do you operate and how are these linked to individual user accounts?
I know the answers to some of these questions are on the site, but seeing them summed up like the other providers did would be greatly beneficial.

I really like PP and haven't ever had any problems with it. I don't really mind that it's "small" or "obscure" but I'd also like to see it become very successful. Also, I don't mind the price, because as I said before, you get what you pay for.

The only downside to PP that I can think of is the fact that it's IP ranges are well known -- meaning country specific services (Hulu, Pandora, BBC iPlayer etc.) don't work. Perhaps PP could look into adding some sort of DNS-redirect service.

Thanks!

Solution
Hi,

thanks for your appreciation and questions. Perfect Privacy will most likely be on their updated list. At least we provided answers to the (now eight) questions recently. Here are the questions and our answers:

I was asked not to publish them, so they are no longer here. Sorry. The article on TorrentFreak has been published by now, our answers are on page 3: http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2014-edition-140315/ .

Using services like Hulu etc. should be possible using a server of the respective country, in this case any of the US based servers. Isn't it?
Maybe we might look into some sort of dns-redirect. Implementing IPv6 might also help and is a point on our todo-list.
Hi,

thanks for your appreciation and questions. Perfect Privacy will most likely be on their updated list. At least we provided answers to the (now eight) questions recently. Here are the questions and our answers:

I was asked not to publish them, so they are no longer here. Sorry. The article on TorrentFreak has been published by now, our answers are on page 3: http://torrentfreak.com/which-vpn-services-take-your-anonymity-seriously-2014-edition-140315/ .

Using services like Hulu etc. should be possible using a server of the respective country, in this case any of the US based servers. Isn't it?
Maybe we might look into some sort of dns-redirect. Implementing IPv6 might also help and is a point on our todo-list.

Solution
Hello, Thanks for the quick reply! This is good news -- I can't wait for the next TorrentFreak VPN review to be released! I checked into the Hulu thing again and I was wrong -- for the most part (which is good!). The Chicago/Denver servers seemed to work perfectly with Hulu (using a random IP from the pool). The Washington server, unfortunately, did not: I also checked the UK servers for BBC iPlayer and Channel4 On demand and it worked! I must admit I haven't tried to use the PP UK/US servers to view region locked content in a while, so this is good news. Thanks again for the reply!

Hello,

I thought the same thing too -- a new server with a new IP should be good to go. I just tried it again (with the new reverse DNS pointer) and unfortunately get the same result.

Maybe they've just banned Leaseweb USA Inc's IP range :(

Hello,

Sorry for not replying sooner -- I only now just noticed you added the IPs!

Hulu worked perfectly from a random Washington US IP. I guess they only blocked the original IP.

Good stuff :D

Back