Answered: London DNS server / BBC iPlayer

Nockeby

What's your suggested best practice regarding BBC's iPlayer? Whenever I connect with London, a non-UK DNS server gets assigned, which is what the BBC is apparently checking - thus refusing to stream the content. Shouldn't the server assign a UK server instead?

Solution
Hi,

sorry for the late reply but I wanted to investigate this before answering. Turns out this has got nothing to do with the DNS server(s) used at all (I also tried this).

Unfortunately at least one of the IP addresses of the server London1 is recognized by the BBC as not being inside the UK, so I was able to reproduce the issue. But when using a VPN protocol (I did my tests using our Windows VPN Manager with OpenVPN) you can simply reconnect to the server (or use the other one in London) while having the "use random exit IP" option (located in the IPs and Ports tab in the client or on the settings page in the member area of our website) enabled, and you will most likely use another IP then, as both servers in London have six IPv4...
Hi,

sorry for the late reply but I wanted to investigate this before answering. Turns out this has got nothing to do with the DNS server(s) used at all (I also tried this).

Unfortunately at least one of the IP addresses of the server London1 is recognized by the BBC as not being inside the UK, so I was able to reproduce the issue. But when using a VPN protocol (I did my tests using our Windows VPN Manager with OpenVPN) you can simply reconnect to the server (or use the other one in London) while having the "use random exit IP" option (located in the IPs and Ports tab in the client or on the settings page in the member area of our website) enabled, and you will most likely use another IP then, as both servers in London have six IPv4 addresses. I was able to use the iPlayer several times this way.

Solution
Hi Daniel, thanks for looking into this!
You may be wondering why this reply comes from a different user. It so happened that I forgot my password and as I used a disposable mail I couldn't access the old one anymore.
I was able to confirm what you wrote and could access the iPlayer after using the PP VPN Manager with the option you mentioned.
However, I still have problems with yet another, similar service in the UK, which is S4C.co.uk and their iPlayer equivalent "clic" (a welsh language TV channel). The site had been working flawlessly for over a year and stopped about two weeks ago. Could it be the DNS or are all the PP IPs blacklisted in this case?

Hi,

I tried to use their clic player, but I just get an error "Stream not found: [...]", whether I am using a server in London or not. To me this looks more like a general error on their end. Did you get the same error message?

Hi Daniel,
That's the error. It's been working for the past years, but I know that it had been picky regarding DNS servers when I was still using ovpn.to. With PP it's always been working very reliably.
It's unlikely that it's a problem on their end, as it's been like this for over a week.
frown.png

Hi All,
I am new to PP and have similar problems regarding the US.
One of the reasons to subscribe to PP is to have access to US local content, i.e. TV series, sports.
Connecting to the Chicago server has been unsuccessful for days.
Connecting to the NY server works, but for example abc.com for tv broadcasts still recognizes me as connecting from outside US, even though the check on the PP website shows all the NY server data.
Are the PP servers in the US also blacklisted ?
Is there any additional steps required beside the Tunnelblick installation and import of server data to make it work ?
Any help or suggestion is highly welcome.

Thanks.

Back