Is PP Windows client using 3 year old drivers or am I misunderstanding?

Perfect-Privacy-User-8192

Freshly Joined Member
Hello everyone,

I am on the latest Windows 11 client with the latest installer and I see that WinTUN driver is listed 0.8.00 from 12/10/2019. According to the WinTUN sites:

wintun [dot] net and more directly git.zx2c4 [dot] com/wintun/refs/tags

The current WinTUN version is 0.14.1 from 2022-05-23. So are we using a driver that is almost 3 years old? Maybe it really doesn't matter and maybe you have thoroughly checked the 0.8 version for any issues, but I like to stay updated. I did not look to see if it's the same issue with TapWindows or other drivers.

If one of the devs or someone in the know can chime in I would appreciate it.

P.S. Unrelated but am I missing a setting to turn automatic updates off? Automatic updates are an attack surface I am uncomfortable with. I'd like to be able to verify the signature of each update before installing.

1698270596699.png

If one of the devs or someone in the know can chime in I would appreciate it.
Hi there, we are shipping the wintun driver that comes with openvpn 2.6, which is the latest. We are shipping the old version of it for compatibility reasons in case the current version does not work. https://git.zx2c4.com/wintun last version updates: 2021-10-17

I'd like to be able to verify the signature of each update before installing.
The client checks for updates in the background, but to get them you have to actively install them. This does not happen automatically.

Back