Answered: CBC vs GCM mode?

Vodka Vlad

Which is the more advanced, tougher to crack encryption mode? I assume GCM is better because it is newer isn't it? I read some forums where people were talking about it a little but I couldn't find a straight answer to my question.

Solution
GCM ist newer, faster and more reliable than CBC.
More and more companies are switching to GCM.

Also with OpenVPN 2.4 GCM is preffered by server-default.

If you take a look at the .ovpn files, there is an "ignore server default" command

ncp-disable

followed by the personal choosen cipher (for example)

cipher aes-256-cbc

If this option "ncp-disable" is removed, the 256-GCM is always used, independent from the configurated or choosen chipher (overriding)...because it is the preffered default chipher.

You should choose the 256 or 128-GCM profiles at the Download area

If you take a look at the .ovpn files, there is an "ignore server default" command

ncp-disable

cipher aes-256-cbc

If this option "ncp-disable" is removed, the 256-GCM is always used, independent from the configurated or choosen chipher (overriding)...because it is the preffered default chipher.

Last edited:
Solution

ncp-disable

cipher aes-256-cbc

Well, by faster do you mean I'm able to load webpages faster using GCM mode right?

I noticed that when I'm using PP openvpn with 4 multi hops along with the Tor browser and browse the web I am unable to load anything? Maybe using the 4 multi hop with the Tor browser is overkill?

I came across this link: https://www.perfect-privacy.com/howto/tor-vpn-firefox/

If I'm using Tor with PP, should I always be using the SSH manager with these settings:

Check the radio button “Manual proxy configuration” and enter the “127.0.0.1” as SOCKS host and “5083” as port. Also make sure to activate “Remote DNS” so that .onion domains can be resolved. Click on OK to accept the settings and leave the options.

Last edited:
Back