can't set up vpn on ubuntu

dexxin

Freshly Joined Member
dang, had some serious issues with this! long story short have had this set up perfectly but had to reinstall OS to create more space on dual boot. when using line "sudo wget --content-disposition https://www.perfect-privacy.com/downloads/openvpn/get?system=linux" instead of generating the code "linux_op24" it generated "linux_op25" using this change in number from 24 to 25 was the only thing that corrected a zip error when using the next step- sudo unzip -j linux_op24_udp_v4_AES256GCM_AU_in_ci.zip however, even though i can now see all the different connections, being able to put the password and username in, setting the "autostart" blah blah everything is fine until using starting the connection when it comes back with error-
Options error: Unrecognized option or missing or extra parameter(s) in /etc/openvpn/Amsterdam.conf:133: data-ciphers (2.4.7)
Use --help for more information.

i checked and my code looks different to the template on https://www.perfect-privacy.com/en/manuals/linux_openvpn_terminal . haven't got a clue how to fix this. feels like the website is out of date and my ticket has gone unanswered for days so trying here! cheers

Solution
None of these worked, but I did fix it by changing the op code from 24 to 25 as it generated differently for me. Guessing the website hadn't been updated. This finally let me unzip. Still would not initialise though, so then I downloaded the newest vpn version for Ubuntu and then all gravy. For some reason I've lost Autostart, but it's ok, just happy it's fixed. Cheers for replying anyways, chaps.
First you must go to /openvpn
cd /etc/openvpn

And for connecting to an Server you use Syntax (ex London)
sudo openvpn --config London1.conf --script-security 2 --route remote_host --persist-tun --up updown.sh --down updown.sh --route-noexec

If you want to connect Hop 2 you use (ex Stockholm 1)
sudo openvpn --config Stockholm1.conf --script-security 2 --route remote_host --persist-tun --up updown.sh --down updown.sh --route-noexec --setenv hopid 2 --setenv prevgw [The intern IP you got from HINT)
For Hop 3 you use the HINT you get from the terminal and set hopid 2 to hopid 3 and so on...

But you need first Update OpenVPN OR Download Configs for 2.4 manually.

None of these worked, but I did fix it by changing the op code from 24 to 25 as it generated differently for me. Guessing the website hadn't been updated. This finally let me unzip. Still would not initialise though, so then I downloaded the newest vpn version for Ubuntu and then all gravy. For some reason I've lost Autostart, but it's ok, just happy it's fixed. Cheers for replying anyways, chaps.

Solution
Back